Tuesday, July 7, 2026

A Poem

On the Farm


I need evidence that I have not changed, something

sound within me, a voice that answers the wind when it 

blows here on the hill. The stars respond to the darkness

twinkle by twinkle, and I realize I am waking to a porch light 

in the distance. Cars pass beyond the house. The susurrus 

of their motion makes for peaceful thinking. When I walk 

to the edge of the pasture a bellowing bull intrudes on my sadness. 

Is this sadness? I forget what brings me here, what illumination 

at the end of August, hot and feverish, blasts me baked 

and muscular. Somewhere far away waves crash ashore, 

constantly changing, but the process by which they break 

remains the same. A girl is strolling by the sea, and by 

the chambers of the sea she sees the end of all things.  

By fire light her eyes narrow to a speck on the horizon,

a ship slipping away hauling fish to a spot barely

charted on the globe. She hears her name and is reminded 

of all the places she has never been, of the land she cannot 

cross. I am her tonight, in this farm that holds me captive,

word and deed, jot and tittle, a way out and a way

of knowing there is no escape.


Joel Fry

 
*Previously published in The Michigan City Review of Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment