C.E. Chaffin is my favorite poet. I used to not admit this, because he is so little-known, but I get more out of his poetry than I do from anyone else. He published two books of poetry: Elementary and Unexpected Light. I think Elementary was published in 1997 and Unexpected Light was published in 2008. Elementary is a book of nature poems. Unexpected Light is much more internal. I own both books. Unexpected Light is a better book, and it is longer. If you want to read some of his poetry you can Google "C.E. Chaffin."
Chaffin published two of my poems when he edited the Melic Review. The Melic Review is no longer available online. The Melic Review had an online poetry workshop that I participated in. It was a fun place to get feedback and to write critiques of poems. I learned a lot there.
C.E. suffered from bipolar disorder and ended up committing suicide in 2013. He had a sunny disposition despite the gloomy spells. I would say he was an extravert. He had three daughters and one grandson. He spent some time living in Mexico and wrote about it from time to time. I got to know him in 2006, when I had a brief correspondence with him.
Another little-known poet whose work I admire is Jeffery Bahr. I was active in a poetry workshop with him as well. He died in 2017. So many good people are gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment