Calendar Days
I walk through the calendar days of my yard,
making the rain equal on both sides, seeking
sunlight in the middle where the breeze finds
my faults. I survive the storms of spring,
but not intact. With parts of me missing I navigate
ground that never dries, mud holes layered
with leaves. The world gives everyone permission
to run down a mountaintop where clouds cover the sun
and bird flight makes folly wise. The part of me
that vanishes like wood smoke is bound to appear
again when I feel myself falling asleep in a swamp
of misapprehension, in the trouble of netted
memory, where I play and tangle my feet together
in a rapid dance. Something calms me. A hand
beneath the breeze settles my skin where I am
all brambles and thorns. The surface of the sky
glistens above my face. I grow accustomed
to drowning, no longer insisting that my blood
warm me. What made me but discipline
and fast fingers beating my will?
The only meaning is the repetition of sound
in the only place I can hear it.
No comments:
Post a Comment