Sunday, July 12, 2026

A Poem

On the Road


No one needs to know where I’m going on the coldest day

of the year, my vision spread out across the highway, taking in all 

the land has to offer—the pastures, houses, creeks, junk piles. 

I listen to what the tire tread does on the ice, and I long to see 

what must come, what little and large must be, strangers who move 

ahead of the snow in the insular hours, hermits bound to secrecy, 

recluses bound to lives of closets and time. On the road my life makes 

sense. What I’ve been told becomes background. No guilt arises 

in my rearview mirror, no chattering or praying hands, no shame. 

I prepare in moments of mercy for hours of rage when distance 

develops an itch. At pit stops I shave and set my clock, observe 

the rising sun, the fleeing deer. What more is there to know than 

what I see? A man tells me that the world is growing violent around me, 

and I cannot stop it. I tell him the world is not my concern. 

The stained-glass morning comes, its face a broken yolk. I watch 

the headlights form shadows, the miles ahead a mystery.


Joel Fry


*This poem was previously published in the Michigan City Review of Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment