Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Poem: The Barn

The Barn


I have often pretended to return

to this barn in wet weather while the moon’s

ashen face matches my reflection, while 

I climb the sky foot by foot and peek between

cracks in the roof, gaps in the cloud cover.


My body is the forgotten home of fire,

the blaze I carry in my breath, secrets

and legends, road trips across the blustering

earth, seasons under my skin. The world

is silent beneath me. No cars, trees, houses,

shopping malls, banks or interstates rise

through the rafters. There is no time or place

beyond this rough-hewn darkness, this 

starlight that stipples my skin. 


Now I understand my grandfather fifty years

before me, walking down a mile of pecan groves,

his voice rising in a story he would grow to tell, of faces

he had known since infancy seeking him in a dark 

house, lost in the light of his eyes. I know well the way

my brothers chased chickens and guinea fowl

into manhood and ate the lean offerings of the land—

pork, beef, turnips and potatoes.


The farm makes solitude a treasure. The ginger 

pains of age bestow their blessings on my hardened 

hands. Raindrops mix with sweat. I come here

to whisper my name and my story, to endure all 

I love, to live as if I’m heard.  


Previously published in Blue Unicorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment