Friday, September 18, 2026

Poem: Leaving

Leaving

The sky full of singing water,
the furrows thick with spring flowers,
are haunted with the fragrance of wind. 
No one else could know this like you. 
No other upheaval could be your hands on my chest. 
Tell me, do you know the spring water in the sunlight,
the best of chance and resolve?  This is good news,
the only news worth knowing.  It is daylight here,
as everywhere.  We need the rain, the sun.  We need
our hands on each other’s backs.  I knew when I saw you
I could never understand why you left me to go north,
why the ocean stopped its roaming and every body ushered
in the clouds.  No one could tell me why the land
crept westward with frost across the face of a guess,
why the night was imperial. Everyone forgot me. 
My only ambition was to leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment