Saturday, September 26, 2026

Repost: Poem: Your Selflessness

Your Selflessness


I’d like to see you selfish for once.

I want to see you tip the waitress in quarters

then complain about the cost of the meal.

As we make it to our car, our bellies full

of love and pasta, you remember the boy 

in high school who could put away four plates

of food at the buffet. He is gone now, a closet

suicide. Only you remember his laughter

and the assurance of his loud voice.


He is kind in your memory, a place where no one

else can intrude. Sometimes you know how his

hand held yours all the way back to the first grade.

The night is in flight from our upturned faces,

the spouts of our noses.

I walk away from our family tree with you in tow

and that boy from school speaking your name 

behind us.


On your belly you shall go, I say to you,

as you face me, ashamed of the memory

of someone no one could help. Life is the garbage

we collect along the boulevards and side roads.

The words we speak to each other cannot be

trusted. They creak like old wood between out feet.

As a generalization water is as hard as iron.

The truth is buckshot splitting a face, a garbled 

mess of consonants breaking teeth, a refuge 

for beasts of all kinds, briars I take to my

breasts, the heart of a girl beating in folds

of linen. The truth takes victims, people who want

out of what is right, what is coming. You sharpen 

your gaze against a rock, balance 

a child’s skull in your hands, one with a bullet hole 

in the back.


No comments:

Post a Comment