Saturday, September 5, 2026

Poem: A Billionaire

A Billionaire  


I quietly become a billionaire. My mansion is the first

place I look for rest, my estate in the woods away from

the socialites and their chilled wine. I prefer a toast 

to failure, a drink of something sweet that goes

down smooth. It is my day to be hard, to spell my 

name with a hammer, to chisel what I have always called

myself, what my mother called me before the money 

came. Endurance means an end to pleasure, means 

cash on hand, means the fury of the market and careful

commodities. It’s high times back at the mausoleum.

Each minute counts for a mile traveled. I am my face 

restricted to want, my life paramount, my longing plastered

to every vista I have seen. What can tell me to stop

looking? What can embrace me like silk and silver?


Joel Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment