Monday, September 21, 2026

Poem: Late-Night Fate

Late-Night Fate


My best thoughts come to me at night 

when darkness has tucked the trees 

into the distance and my belly roars for something

quick to eat from the fridge I never stock.

I have settled into a wreck where living

is the last thing possible. If I could love this life

I might know how to live alone. As it is, living 

is the farthest thing from my mind. Why do I come 

home anymore? Why do I inhabit a square foot 

of space not fit for a houseplant? 

I want to be the prince of sound in a land of seasons.

If I die no one will find my body for a month.

Something in me gives. I need 

what only I can bestow upon the world, something

I may never discover. As a towering man, I know

how to fall. Height has its reasons,

as does weight for a fat man greasing a pole.

The medicine that keeps me sane 

does not keep me safe. I reach a point beyond myself,

A place I can never come back from. 

Time is torment. I cope with heartache 

like a glutton eating a meal, his plate his fortune, 

a tournament of flavors he feels compelled to finish. 

I come to the agate eye of my fate, the squirrel brain 

of my unrest. No doctor can tell me why I do this. 




No comments:

Post a Comment