Sunday, August 9, 2026

A Poem: A Desert Night

A Desert Night


We want to be stranded in the desert

with no keys back to our house, our eyes

big and curtained, our hands 

freezing, our position in the world

immobile. We want each other,

to be situated in the salad of life, green

and remembered by all. You tell me living

is no reward for the way things are. I agree.


Night comes starless and cold, a chorus

of indictments. I’ve done everything wrong.

I’ve lived up to my paunch in lies without convictions 

of my own. Now I am the puppet of others’ opinions,

my strings tied to the body politic. I can’t think

of the last time I made a decision, everything someone

else’s fault. Memory is a gnat I can’t flick away.

I did not choose my height or my intellect or even

my will. 


Where can I go if I crawl on my belly? Distance

elapses between us. White lines on the highway

flash before us in the sudden wake of my guilt.

This is all the way we planned it. The land 

is broken at our feet. I can’t confront the way 

I feel, the way I look away from strangers’ gazes. 

I want to stare at those who make accusations, 

who gun me down with their words. 


No comments:

Post a Comment