Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Poem: A Man Sees Himself as a Cathedral

A Man Sees Himself as a Cathedral


Explanations trend toward the eternal,

trained on a gasp of insight in which I realize 

I am an organism of thought, a cathedral

of flesh and breath buttressed by granite groins.

Cement steadies my touch. Lichen covers 

my face. My bowels move through the history

of space. Bats roost in my belfry. 


When I could walk tall among the tales

of children, I lived in the air of singing.

My mother fed me ham and eggs. 

I purred softly through the night, wanting 

nothing, mindless as a ball of cotton.


Now that I’m a fixed geography, is there any reason

to change? When a storm comes it batters my roof,

and I realize I miss nothing about being human.

If I were a man again, I would fear my daily employment,

dread the way light comes at dawn to freshen 

my eyes. I would need what no one can give me

and live in a house where no one could find me.


Stained-glass windows look on transparency.

Concrete traps my mind. I hear the organ

and the choir, the labor of patience. I am the priest 

and the congregants, the stones that constitute

my walls and the wind that brushes against them,

a body politic of masonry and memory. 


Joel Fry


*Previously published in The Biochar Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment